Tuesday 29 January 2013

When gaming costs someone their job.

So, usually I tend to just spam my videos to let you guys know about what I've been doing and what games are good, but today I'm angry.
Recently I played the hilariously frustrating 'I Get This Call Everyday' (First Impressions vid here), a game where you play a guy working in a call centre, as the game developer David Gallant does. You get increasingly frustrated by idiots calling you up and asking stupid questions and being demeaning, but you do the job anyway, so you don't get fired.

Today this article was floating around the internet. Turns out because of the game David Gallant is under investigation by the CRA (Canadian Revenue Agency) and has lost his job. Yeah......
So, apparently any kind of expression of how someone feels in their work is now something worth firing them for. It's downright despicable.
Personally, I don't understand. David has stated that not everyone who calls up is like this and this is just a small percentage of the people he has to deal with. The aim of the game is to be courteous and polite and not get fired, so I don't see what's wrong with that. It's not like anything he did was a breach of any kind of regulation or giving out any personal information of anyone in Canada.
But there you have it, call centres are not friendly places people. Who knew?

Anyway, I'm going to bring this rant to a close. The game is available to buy here for a few dollars, so I suggest you all do that! Also vote for it here on Steam Greenlight.

Ridler out.

No comments:

Post a Comment